Clinical comparison of a NGS-based approach vs. conventional testing methods*
PathoQuest has completed a proof of concept clinical study which compared the ability of an NGS-based testing approach to identify pathogens in patients with suspected infections versus the use of conventional testing methodologies was conducted at two prominent medical centers in France. This study:
- A total of 101 patients were enrolled in the study.
- All patients enrolled were immunocompromised and 23% of the patients were neutropenic.
- The study cohort included the following reasons for immunosuppression:
– Anti-cancer chemotherapy
– Immunosuppressive treatment following solid organ transplantation
– Stem cell transplant recipients
– Primitive immunodeficiency
– Other causes of immunosuppression
- The study compared PathoQuest’s next-generation sequencing (NGS) based testing approach to standard testing methodologies (blood cultures and targeted PCR testing).
- Testing results from both arms of the study were medically adjudicated by a panel of clinical experts in order to confirm that the pathogens identified were likely to be associated with the patient’s infection-related symptoms and clinical presentation.
The results of this study have been recently published in the peer-reviewed journal Clinical Microbiology and Infection, an official publication of ESCMID.
*Parize P, Muth E, Richaud C, et al. Untargeted next-generation sequencing-based first-line diagnosis of infection in immunocompromised adults: a multicentre, blinded, prospective study.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2017 Feb 10. doi: 10.1016/j.cmi.2017.02.006.
The following are peer-reviewed publications and presentations which provide information related to PathoQuest’s next-generation sequencing solution for the clinical identification of pathogens: Click on highlighted title for link to publication.
- Peker N, Couto N, Sinha B, Rossen JW. Diagnosis of bloodstream infections from positive blood cultures and directly from blood samples: recent developments in molecular approaches. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2018 May 19. pii: S1198-743X(18)30419-1.
- Phan NG, Gouilh MA, JPaireau J, Do LP, Cheval J, Ngu ND, Hébert C, Nguyen TH, Lortholary O, Tondeur L, Manuguerra JC, Barouki R, Sander J, Janzen N, Nguyen HT, Brey PT, Fontanet A, Eloit M. Hypoglycemic toxins and enteroviruses as distinct causes of pediatric acute encephalitis-like syndrome outbreaks in Bac Giang Province, northern Vietnam. Emerg Infect Dis. 2018, in press.
- Horwood PF, Duong V, Laurent D, Mey C, Sothy H, Santy K, Richner B, Heng S, Hem S, Cheval J, Gorman C, Dussart P, de Jong MD, Kerleguer A, Guillard B, Murgue B, Lecuit M, de Lamballerie X, Farrar JJ, Tarantola A, Eloit M, Buchy P. Aetiology of acute meningoencephalitis in Cambodian children, 2010-2013. Emerg Microbes Infect. 2017 May 24;6(5):e35.
- Du-Thanh A, Dereure O, Cheval J, Dumarest M, Al-Shikhley L, Girard C, Guillot B, Eloit M. No viral transcripts associated with folliculotropic mycosis fungoides using a high throughput sequencing approach. Acta Derm Venereol. 2017; Oct 2;97(9):1125-1126.
- Parize P, Muth E, Richaud C, Gratigny M, Pilmis B, Lamamy A, Mainardi JL, Cheval J, de Visser L, Jagorel F, Ben Yahia L, Bamba G, Dubois M, Join-Lambert O, Leruez-Ville M, Nassif X, Lefort A, Lanternier F, Suarez F, Lortholary O, Lecuit M, Eloit M. Untargeted next-generation sequencing-based first-line diagnosis of infection in immunocompromised adults: a multicentre, blinded, prospective study. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2017; Aug; 23(8):574.e1-574.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.cmi.2017.02.006. Epub 2017 Feb 10.
- Duong V, Mey C, Eloit M, Zhu H, Danet L, Huang Z, Zou G, Tarantola A, Cheval J, Perot P, Laurent D, Richner B, Ky S, Heng S, Touch S, Sovann L, van Doorn R, Tan Tran T, Farrar JJ, Wentworth DE, Das SR, Stockwell TB, Manuguerra JC, Delpeyroux F, Guan Y, Altmeyer R, Buchy P. Molecular epidemiology of human enterovirus 71 at the origin of an epidemic of fatal hand, foot and mouth disease cases in Cambodia. Emerg Microbes Infect. 2016; Sep 21;5(9):e104. doi: 10.1038/emi.2016.101.
- Blasdell KR, Duong V, Eloit M, Chretien F, Ly S, Hul V, Deubel V, Morand S, Buchy P. Evidence of human infection by a new mammarenavirus endemic to Southeastern Asia. Elife. 2016; Jun 9;5. pii: e13135. doi: 10.7554/eLife.13135.
- Sauvage V, Laperche S, Cheval J, Muth E, Dubois M, Boizeau L, Hébert C, Lionnet F, Lefrère JJ, Eloit M. Viral metagenomics applied to blood donors and recipients at high-risk for blood-borne infections. Blood Transfus. 2016 Sep;14(5):400-7. doi: 10.2450/2016.0160-15.
- Ruppé E, Greub G Schrenzel J. Messages from the first International Conference on Clinical Metagenomics (ICCMg). Microbes Infect. 2017; Feb 1. pii: S1286-4579, (17)30019-9. doi: 10.1016/j.micinf.2017.01.005.
- Lecuit M, Eloit M. The potential of whole genome NGS for infectious disease diagnosis. Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2015;15:1517-9. doi: 10.1586/14737159.2015.1111140.
- Frémond ML, Pérot P, Muth E, Cros G, Dumarest M, Mahlaoui N, Seilhean D, Desguerre I, Hébert C, Corre-Catelin N, Neven B, Lecuit M, Blanche S, Picard C, Eloit M. Next-generation sequencing for diagnosis and tailored therapy: A case report of Astrovirus-associated progressive encephalitis. J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc. 2015; 4:e53-7. doi: 10.1093/jpids/piv040.
- Lecuit M, Eloit M. The diagnosis of infectious diseases by whole genome next generation sequencing: a new era is opening. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2014; 4:25. doi: 10.3389/fcimb.2014.00025.
- Bodemer C, Sauvage V, Mahlaoui N, Cheval J, Couderc T, Leclerc-Mercier S, Debré M, Pellier I, Gagnieur L, Fraitag S, Fischer A, Blanche S, Lecuit M, Eloit M. Live rubella virus vaccine long-term persistence as an antigenic trigger of cutaneous granulomas in patients with primary immunodeficiency. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2014; Oct;20(10):O656-63. doi: 10.1111/1469-0691.12573.
- Dereure O, Cheval J, Du Thanh A, Pariente K, Sauvage V, Manuguerra JC, Caro V, Foulongne V, Eloit M. No evidence for viral sequences in mycosis fungoides and Sézary syndrome skin lesions: a high-throughput sequencing approach. J Invest Dermatol. 2013; Mar;133(3):853-5. doi: 10.1038/jid.2012.371. Epub 2012 Oct 25.
- Foulongne V, Sauvage V, Hebert C, Dereure O, Cheval J, Gouilh MA, Pariente K, Segondy M, Burguière A, Manuguerra JC, Caro V, Eloit M. Human skin microbiota: high diversity of DNA viruses identified on the human skin by high throughput sequencing. PLoS One. 2012; 7(6):e38499. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0038499. Epub 2012 Jun 19.
Let’s Start Something New
Welcome to PathoQuest!